Friday, March 9, 2007

Misadventure with ABN AMRO credit card

I happen to see for the first time, how rude and indifferent a credit card company can be, to their customers? I happen to have a credit card from ABN AMRO bank in India, since august 2006. I used it for first time in January of this year. I was very happy to see the way SMSs appeared on my mobile, thanking me for using the card. I got my credit card statement also on 15th Feb 2007, with technical sophestication of encrypted email. I was also prompt to find on ABN-AMRO website http://www.abnamro.co.in/ , the mechanism to pay the dues. I immediately sent a cheque to the postal address given on their website (ABN AMRO does not have drop box in the vicinity of campus of IIT Kanpur, where I live.)

To my dismay, even after 22 days, I have not received confirmation of receipt of cheque. I enquired with their call enter, they told - why I had sent the cheque by post?, it should have been put in drop box. I understood that one should not believe on, what the bank's website says. It is probably made for dumb people like me.

After that I sent three emails to the email id as given on ABN AMRO website. Alas! It happened the way you can guess - There is no response. I do not know, what to do now? I am now waiting for next statement and will do the final settlement as per the suggestion of girl at call center - by dropping the cheque in a drop box some twenty kilometers away. I have now decided not to use the card.

I guess - silently keeping the sent cheque is good idea for the bank to retrieve the heavy interest and penalty from the card users. I pray for other ABN-AMRO card holders in India.

8 comments:

Sujoy said...

Go to this link:
http://www.abnamro.co.in/creditcard/index.html

and look at the left side menu.
Below Cards Online section u will find a link to download 1500 dropbox location file. just save the file.
Then u will get the nearest Dropbox location to drop ur cheques for Crdit card payment.

regards,
Sujoy

Prakash Shenoy said...

I have same problem with GE Money card. The payment is debited from my bank account but not received by GE Money. I have sent them the bank certificate last week but till date no solution is reached. The call center person can't confirm even receipt of my bank certificate fax sent to their gurgaon office. On this rediff link http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2007/may/09card.htm there is some advice by expert to lodge complaint against bank at nearest banking ombudsman. But I don't think that will be of much help. As all of them are one and same. They will just waste my time and money.

Unknown said...

I always used to pay credit card bill after receiving the statement online. The bill of 2Jun2006 with due date of 22 June reached me on 19 July 2006. I had crossed the due date because of their mistake. They started levying late fees from July bill onwards. I informed them, called them wrote them, did everything to make them stop levying late fees but they did not stop. All their statements carried over the previous late fees and got multiplied. Since I had ABN AMRO saving account, they debited money from my bank without informing me. After writing to them and talking to the executives 1000 times, they have not resolved it or returned my money. The result is inspite of placing cancelling request, the card is still active only for bills not for usage and the statemnt shows Rs 11000 just late fees. This story is two years long and feel it would be long lasting. No reply comes from them except that they cant contact me and my number is not reachable. If I call them the executive says that the call is not trabsferrable. If I write them I get an apology letter for the inconvinience caused and somewone will call me in 5 working days. Only this has been going on for last 1.6 years. I never delayed any payment and alsways paid on due date.

Divya said...

My father has been experiencing the issue of irrelevant late fees & other paymenst claim from the ABN Amro for past 6 months. And to add to the agony, there is no response to the emails sent to the department

God know when there will be suitable consumer laws !!

Raj said...

Folks,

Thanks for all these comments.

I was just going to apply for one.

I will not, after reading all this. I dont even want to take a chance as I'm already loaded with enough trouble and dont want to take on a new one.

Thanks again

Raj

PK said...

I lost many thousands due to different ticks of ABNAMRO

1. They offered me Titatinium One Card with Rs 4500 fees for 2 years, and 2% cash back on transactions and a week long Holiday package for 4 adults. I took 2 cards, one for me and one for my wife. So, I ended up paying Rs 10,000 + due to service taxes

Later on the agency (heritage holiday asked for Rs 2800 per card as Utility carges for holiday package) and I paid 5600 more.

The holiday resorts were like Dharamsala, we could not stay more than 1 or 2 nights... I could have stayed in a star hotel with that amount (Rs 16000)

Now, they have stoped the 2% cash back also :(

Also, Once a Rs 100 cheque got bounced, I deposited Rs 500 very same day, in their branch. They still presented the same faulty cheque thrice, Charing me around Rs 2500 as bounces charges for Rs 100 cheque !!(combined of both banks, Abnamro and Citibank (cheque issuer))

I have many cards HSBC, HDFC, Citi, ICICI, ABN

I believe, Citi is the best, as I never got into trouble with them, and in 5 years, 3-4 time, payment was delayed but they reversed the late payment & finance charges. Once my card was missued by Reliance, they reversed that amount too.

I like ICICI 2nd Best, As with Amex Gold card & HNI saving account, they treat me like King. And they give good offers too. But they are not good in case of dispute transactin like CITIbank, Citi reversed the charges Immediatly, whereas ICICI said they will take 60 days, as per rules..

I do not like any other card... HSBC is not competetive, NO good offers, they always charge fees, though reverse it after call. Never had dispute transaction, so cannot comment on it.

HDFC bank is very similar to ABNAMRO.

I hope my 8 years of exp with Cards help you all.

sanjay said...

ABN Amro is a third class bank, People should avoid this Bank.

Unknown said...

R S TOMAR

I AM VERY MUCH AGREE TO SANJAY'S THOUGHT AS I HAVE THE SAME OPINION FOR THEM
ABN Amro is a third class bank, People should avoid this Bank.